ZERO GRAVITY (Thursday Night Brunch)
Location: Skydive Dubai Drop Zone, JBR, DUBAI
AED 295 (Inclusive of Alcoholic House Beverages)
“When you stop drinking, you have to deal with this marvelous personality that started you drinking in the first place.”
When Zero Gravity first opened, I predicted that they would turn into the new “Barasti”, especially that Sandance (by Nasimi Beach) was bizarrely discontinued (all us Dubai old timers surely remember that those concerts got so pack the bar would actually sell out). It turns out that I am not so good with predictions. I think the challenge is filling up a massive venue like that (2000+ capacity), in a city like Dubai that now has tons of nightlife options.
On a pleasant Thursday evening the #InSearchofBrunch boys headed out to inspect the Zero Gravity Thursday brunch, which they refer to as the “Stoli Social Club”. The good people from Stolichnaya were kind enough to sponsor this event and provide a selection of games for the brunchers. One interesting fact about Stolichnaya is the Stolichnaya trademark has been the object of dispute between distributors since 2003, between the SPI Group and Russian state-owned Sojuzplodoimport.. I am not sure who is responsible for distributing here, but regardless I salute them and say Na zdorovie!
The food offering is limited to:
- Cold starters and Sushi- the starters are served in tiny tasting plates which makes it annoying since if you want a larger portion of a certain dish you will have to pick up a million small dishes
- Hot buffet- steak, sausage, butter chicken, rice, shepherd’s pie, pizza, calamari, and spring rolls. The shepherd’s pie was the highlight for me, but I was not impressed with the quality of steak or sausage.
- Burger station- this was the most interesting since it included patties made from Kangaroo, Ostrich, Crab, Camel and the usual suspects (beef, chicken, and lamb)
- Desert station- I got too intoxicated and unfortunately did not make it to this station
The burger station with a variety of patties is a great concept but is poorly executed since all the patties are pre-cooked and made to sit on the buffest, which results in dry patties. Since they already have an n outdoor grill available, I would suggest they grill the burgers to order- that would make a massive difference (cold & dry burger VS. hot & juicy burger?).
Beverages are offered via 5 drink stations and include:
- Wine and beer bar (only canned Stella!). This can definitely be improved
- Gin Bar- 6 different varies of Gin, plus a wide selection of garnishes and aromatics. As a gin man this was my favorites station.
- Liquor & mixers station- whiskey, rum, vodka, & tequila. No Shots allowed! This can be improved.
- Cocktail station- whiskey lemonade & lemon vodka
- Stoli Cocktail station
Many drinking games are available to keep you & your crew entertained including:
- Ping Pong tables (or table tennis)
- Beer pong
- Basketball Carnival booth
- Giant Jenga.
This is a great alternative to “Games Night” at a friends place; especially that it saves somebody from going on a Barracuda run (Dubai old timers- you know what I’m talking about). It is also a great option if you plan on drinking like a college student but don’t want to pay AED 1,000 to get drunk. However I must warn you that the vibe was definitely lacking. Firstly the venue was 80% empty. Secondly the choice of music by the DJ(s) was poor and not consistent with the theme (a house party play list is more appropriate with music from across the 80s & 90s). thirdly the quality of food can improve, I have eaten a la carte here before, and I know their kitchen can produce delicious dishes.
Until they make adjustments, I would suggest that you check out Zero Gravity on a Saturday, where they offer a 1-5pm unlimited food & beverages for AED 199/ 250 (girls/boys).
Value for Money: 12/20.